There are two forms of residence when foreigners desire to reside and work in Vietnam: temporary residence and permanent residence. To get a temporary residence and permanent residence in Vietnam, foreigners have to perform administrative procedures at competent authorities. For permanent residence, after being considered for permanent residence, foreigners shall receive a permanent residence card. So, what is a Vietnam permanent residence card? Who can apply for a permanent residence card? What are the requirements? Procedures to get a permanent residence card for foreigners? In this article, Apra Law Firm shall answer these questions as follows.
What is Vietnam permanent residence card (PRC)?
According to Clause 14, Article 3 of the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit, and Residence of Foreigners in Vietnam 2014, amended in 2019, a permanent residence card is a document issued by an immigration authority to a foreigner who is permitted to reside indefinitely in Vietnam. This card has the same validity as a visa.
Who can apply for a permanent residence card?
Firstly, foreigners who have contributed to the development and protection of Vietnam and are awarded medals or state honorary titles by the Vietnam Government.
Secondly, foreigners who are scientists or experts temporarily residing in Vietnam.
Thirdly, any foreigner sponsored by his parent, spouse, or child who is a Vietnamese citizen and has a permanent residence in Vietnam.
Fourthly, any stateless person who has had a temporary residence in Vietnam from 2000 or earlier.
Firstly, any foreigner who has a legitimate residence and stable income ensures their livelihood in Vietnam.
Secondly, foreigners, who are scientists or experts temporarily residing in Vietnam, must be proposed by the Ministers, Heads of Ministerial-level agencies, or Governmental agencies in corresponding fields.
Thirdly, foreigners sponsored by his parent, spouse, or child who is a Vietnamese citizen and has a permanent residence in Vietnam, has temporarily resided in Vietnam for 03 consecutive years or more.
The 03 consecutive years or more temporary residence in Vietnam is determined according to the entry and exit visa borne at the checkpoint within the latest 4 years from the date on which the application for permanent residence is submitted.
Firstly, foreigners who have contributed to the development and protection of Vietnam and are awarded medals or titles by Vietnam’s government and foreigners who are scientists or experts temporarily residing in Vietnam shall submit their dossiers in person to the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Public Security.
Thứ hai, foreigners sponsored by his parent, spouse, or child who is a Vietnamese citizen and has a permanent residence in Vietnam and any stateless person who has had a temporary residence in Vietnam from 2000 or earlier, shall submit their dossiers in person to the Immigration Offices at localities where they apply for permanent residence.
How to get a temporary residence card for foreigners in Vietnam?
- Content of dossiers
Firstly, to foreigners:
– A written request permanent residence status (Form NA12, Circular No. 04/2015/TT-BCA, dated January 5, 2015, of the Ministry of Public Security, providing forms related to entry, exit, and residence of foreigners in Vietnam);
– A judicial record issued by a competent authority of the country in which the applicant is a citizen;
– A diplomatic note from a diplomatic mission of the country, of which the applicant is a citizen, requesting a grant of permanent residence status to the applicant;
– A certified copy of the passport;
– Documents proving the eligibility to be considered for permanent residence;
– Guaranteeing documents for foreigners sponsored by his parent, spouse, or child who is a Vietnamese citizen and has a permanent residence in Vietnam (Form NA11, Circular No. 04/2015/TT-BCA).
Secondly, to stateless person:
– A written request for grant of permanent residence status (Form NA12, Circular No. 04/2015/TT-BCA);
– Papers proving that he/she has had a temporary residence in Vietnam before 2000 and satisfy the requirement of legitimate residence and stable incomes to ensure their livelihood in Vietnam.
Papers proving that he/she has had a temporary residence in Vietnam before 2000 comprise one of the following documents: Certification of temporary residence; Temporary residence register; Description of the duration of temporary residence in Vietnam certified by the police authority of commune/ward/town where the stateless applicant temporarily resides.
Step 1: Submit 01 (One) set of dossiers to the immigration authority.
Step 2: Competent authorities shall receive the dossiers, consider and decide whether to grant the permanent residence status or not, and notify foreigners.
– Within 04 months from the receipt of sufficient documents, the Minister of Public Security shall consider granting the permanent residence status; if further investigation is deemed necessary, the deadline may be extended for up to 02 months.
– The immigration authority shall send a written notification of the result to the applicant and the immigration offices of provinces or centrally-run cities where the foreigner wishes to have a permanent residence. If approved, within 05 working days from the receipt of the notification from the immigration authority, the immigration offices of provinces or centrally-run cities shall notify the applicant of the grant of permanent residence status.
Step 3: Receive the result
Within 03 months from the receipt of the notification of the grant of permanent residence status, the foreigner shall go to the immigration offices of provinces or centrally-run cities to receive their cards.
- Vietnam temporary residence card issuance fees
According to Circular No. 25/2021/TT-BTC dated 2021 April 7th of the Ministry of Finance regulating the collection, payment, management, and use of fees and charges in the fields of exit, entry, transit, and residing in Vietnam, the fee is US$100/card.
This is the article advising on “Legal issue on Vietnam permanent residence card to a foreigner (PRC)” by Apra Law Firm. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the hotline for further advice and support.
For more information, please contact:
APRA LAW FIRM
Address: 7th Floor, 57 Tran Quoc Toan, Tran Hung Dao Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi City, Vietnam.
Hotline: 024.23486234 – 0948495885